OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 Extended Certiﬁcate/Diploma in Health and Social Care.
This Health and Social Care course has been designed to provide students with knowledge and understanding of this vocational area.
The course allows pupils to:
- Develop and sustain an interest in health, early years care and education, social care community and issues aﬀecting care sectors
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of health, early years care and education and issues aﬀecting the health and social care sector
- Develop skills that will enable them to make an eﬀective contribution to the care sector including skills and research, evaluation and problem solving in a work-related context
- Apply knowledge, understanding and skills
- Prepare for further study and training
The Extended Certiﬁcate is the equivalent of 1 A-Level (Grade A*-E) and the Diploma is equivalent to 2 A- Levels (Grade A*-E). The ﬁnal grades are awarded as Pass, Merit and Distinction. The Extended Certiﬁcate consists of 6 units and the Diploma consists of 12 units.
Students study seven units. Four are externally examined; three are portfolio units which are internally assessed. Examinations are 1.5 hours and consist of structured questions.
Students study a further 5 units. One of the units is externally examined and four are internally assessed. Examinations are 1.5 hours and consist of structured questions. The broad spectrum of topics covered gives students the opportunity to focus on a speciﬁc pathway, i.e. in health, social care, children and young people and community justice sectors.
Assessment is either by external examination or portfolio work. Examinations are in January and May/ June and marked by OCR. Portfolio work is marked by the College and moderated by OCR. The qualiﬁcation allows for a number of progression routes i.e. to further or higher education, training or employment.
Degree courses students have followed after successfully completing this course include:
- General and Mental Health Nursing
- Occupation Health Practitioner
- Dental Hygienist
- Health Visitor
- Social Work
- Probation Oﬃcer
- Environmental Health
- Human Resources
- Health Education
- Primary Teaching
Many University courses related to the health sector, e.g. Nursing, Midwifery, Occupational Health and Speech and Language Therapy.